Saturday, December 17, 2011

Marvelous Monsters

Welcome Song: Welcome, Everyone
(Tune: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star)
Welcome, welcome everyone
Now you’re here
We’ll have some fun.
First we’ll clap our hands just so.
Then we’ll bend
And touch our toe.
Welcome, welcome, everyone.
Now you’re here,
We’ll have some fun

Early Literacy Skill: Our early literacy tip for today is on narrative skills the ability to describe things and events and tell stories. Help your child strengthen her narrative skills by asking her to tell you about the book, instead of just listening to you read the story.

Book: Goodnight, Little Monster by Helen Ketteman
Rhyming text describes a mother guiding her young monster through bedtime preparations, such as howling at the moon, snacking on worm juice and beetle bread, and choosing a bedtime story.

Action Rhyme: Ten Fingers
I have ten fingers.
They all belong to me.
I can make them do things.
Would you like to see?
I can shut them up tight.
I can open them wide.
I can put them on my head.
I can put them at my side.
I can raise them up high.
I can put them down low.
I can set them in my lap,
And fold them just so.

Book: There Are Monsters Everywhere by Mercer Mayer
A boy who is certain that his house is filled with monsters takes a karate class in order to vanquish them.

OR

Book: Laura Numeroff's 10-Step Guide to Living with Your Monster by Laura Numeroff
A guide to choosing and caring for your own pet monster, which includes useful information such as "monsters love country western music" and "monsters love to buy gum."

Action Song: If You're Happy and You Know It
v. 1 Clap your hands
v. 2 Stomp your feet
v. 3 Turn around
v. 4 Jump up and down
v. 5 Shout hooray

Flannel Board: Go Away Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley

Then read the book version.

Book: Go Away Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley
Die-cut pages through which bits of a monster are revealed are designed to help a child control nighttime fears of monsters.

Action Rhyme: Clap Your Hands
Clap your hands, touch your toes.
Turn around and touch your nose.
Flap your arms,
Jump up high,
Wiggle your fingers
And let your hands fly.

Book: Jeepers Creepers: A Monstrous ABC by Laura Leuck
Twenty-six monsters go to school and learn their letters as each one's name starts with another letter of the alphabet.

Closing Song: Hands Go Up
Hands go up and hands go down.
I can turn round and round.
I can jump upon two shoes.
I can clap and so can you!
I can wave,
I’ll show you how.
Storytime is done for now.

Take Home Craft: Go Away Big Green Monster story patterns to color and use to retell the story.  Works on kids fine motor skills (coloring and cutting) as well as narrative skills (retelling the story).
http://kizclub.com/storypatterns/monster.pdf

Attendance: 14, 9 (ages 1-7 with caregivers)
Evaluation: This was an extremely fun program.  There are so many great stories about monsters that it was hard to pick just a few.  For the first program I read There Are Monsters Everywhere.  It was a little too scary for the younger ages, so in the second program I read Laura Numeroff's book instead.  During the first session I had only planned on doing the flannel board version of Go Away Big Green Monster.  However, when I finished and showed the kids the book, one of them said, "Again!"  So of course I read them the book, showing the cool die cuts.  It worked so well I did the same thing for the second program.  I liked using the same story in two formats and will try to do that again in future programs.  I would read aloud the book version first and then have the kids help tell the story the second time using a flannel board or some other method.  Great program for any time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment