Saturday, January 21, 2012

Farmyard Friends

Welcome Song: Welcome, Everyone
(Tune: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star)
Welcome, welcome everyone
Now you’re here
We’ll have some fun.
First we’ll clap our hands just so.
Then we’ll bend
And touch our toe.
Welcome, welcome, everyone.
Now you’re here,
We’ll have some fun

Book: Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown
Rhymed text and illustrations introduce the many different animals that live in the big red barn.

Action Rhyme: Ten Fingers
I have ten fingers.
They all belong to me.
I can make them do things.
Would you like to see?
I can shut them up tight.
I can open them wide.
I can put them on my head.
I can put them at my side.
I can raise them up high.
I can put them down low.
I can set them in my lap,
And fold them just so.

Book: Clip Clop by Nicola Smee
When Mr. Horse gives a ride to his friends, Cat, Dog, Pig, and Duck, they urge him to go faster and faster.

Book: Touch and Feel Farm Animals
In this exciting book, children can discover the varied textures of their favorite farmyard animals.
 OR
 Book: No Sleep for Sheep by Karen Beaumont
A sheep wants nothing but to go to sleep in the big red barn on the farm, but each time he closes his eyes, another animal moos or neighs or peeps to come in.

Action Song: If You're Happy and You Know It
v. 1 Clap your hands
v. 2 Stomp your feet
v. 3 Turn around
v. 4 Jump up and down
v. 5 Shout hooray

Book: Charlie the Chicken by Nick Denchfield

Book: This  Is the Farmer by Nancy Tafuri
A farmer's kiss causes an amusing chain of events on the farm.
 OR
 Book: Peek-a-Moo by Marie Cimarusti
Featuring bright, quirky animals and oversized flaps to lift, readers will enjoy playing peek-a-boo with a different animal on each page, guessing what it is, then lifting the flap to find out.

Closing Song: Hands Go Up
Hands go up and hands go down.
I can turn round and round.
I can jump upon two shoes.
I can clap and so can you!
I can wave,
I’ll show you how.
Storytime is done for now.

Attendance: 11, 14 (ages 1-6 with caregivers)
Evaluation: This was by far one of my favorite programs to do in a long time.  It was extremely easy to prepare for and the wide variety of materials allowed me to tailor the program to the ages that actually attended (mostly under 3!).  In the second session I used Touch and Feel Farm Animals and gave every child a copy of the book to use with their caregiver.  It went over extremely well and is something I'd like to include in future programs.  One of the older attendees (4 yrs?) read the book to his mother, which I thought was really cool.  Great mix of stories for the ages present.  Definitely a program to use again.

No comments:

Post a Comment